The Hon Tim Groser has a lengthy history as a New Zealand politician. Most famous for his work as the Trade & Climate Change Minister in the Sir John Key's government, servicing from 2008 - 2015. He made the difficult decision to leave the New Zealand parliament in 2015 and has spent the past three years as the New Zealand ambassador to the USA.
Tim is a renowned speaker on issues focused around the Trade Wars. He is regularly consulted on international trade matters in academic circles and is currently working with Yale University on an upcoming book on this topic.
Tim's work has seen him involved in many of New Zealand's largest and economically significant trade negotiations, such as the below. These are merely a glimpse into the international work he has done.
- New Zealand Ambassador to the World Trade Organisation.
- Chairman of two of the most crucial international negotiating groups in the WTO - Chair of the Rules Group (responsible for deeply technical negotiations in subsidies and anti-dumping) and Chair of the Agriculture Negotiating Group.
- NZ Chief Negotiator (as an official, not elected position) in the last successful ‘Round’ of multilateral Trade Negotiations, the Uruguay Round.
- Involved in the negotiations of all of New Zealand's three Free Trade Agreements with the ‘Chinese Economic Triangle’ - the three separate ‘customs territories' of China itself, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
The Hon Todd Stern has said of Tim;
"While my dealings with the Hon. Tim Groser have been in the field of climate change, rather than trade, they are more than relevant, because Tim was one of the very smartest, toughest, most strategically and tactically adept ministers I worked with in my years as the US Special Envoy for Climate Change. He has a rare ability to cut through the noise and get to the heart of a problem, then think through a strategy and tactical plan to manage it. Add to that a combination of toughness and creativity in execution, and you have a rare package.”
- CEO & Company Directors
Politics & Advocacy
- Asia Speakers
- Environment & Climate Change
- International Relations & Foreign Affairs